Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Ghazi poem - Arabic form

The Ghazal is written in couplets. Traditionally very long, ancient Ghazals could have a hundred or more couplets but should contain at least five.
Similar to the lines in the Japanese Gogyohka (sometimes called 'phrases' or 'breaths'), each of these couplets should be able to exist separate from the rest of the poem, with its own sense of theme and context.
These couplets also have no internal rhyme; the form uses a mono-rhyme, which might seem overly simplistic when applied by English language writers but suited the Arabic language well as it only has three distinct vowel sounds.

Mono-rhyme means that a single rhyme runs through the entire poem. With the Ghazal, this rhyme comes from the first couplet, which also introduces a refrain in the final words, but is only referred to on the second line of each consecutive couplet.

There is no fixed metre though within one piece, every line should be the same length.

Finally, traditional Ghazals should include a reference to the poet in the final line.

Example

When you left me I died for you.
When you returned I cried for you.

We stumbled through each darkened room
I always was a guide for you.

I dredged the depths of treachery
when you said no, I lied for you.

I ran the race just for your sake.
With my last breath I sighed for you.

My love demanded more respect
in every way I tried for you.

When your heart cut off all those ties
the tears Winston just dried for you.




My poem

When you arrive home, I will sing to you
I know I am more than a fling to you.

We dance to music on the radio
We twirl to the jive as I swing to you.

When I am alone, I think of your touch
I will always be a true love to you.

If you are not able to come to me,
I'll hop on a plane and wing it to you.

In times of trouble, when I need a friend
I know Maire can always turn to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment