Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Gentle moments


She listens for the sound
of footsteps on the stairs,
waits by the kitchen door
to greet me.

A pot of tea in hand
we return to bed,
she bolts into the duvet
kneading my warmth.

I settle under,
her engine reving,
she twists and turns
nudging for attention.

Eyes watching mine,
she thrusts forward
our faces collide,
a wet nose, on mine.

Head resting on paws
her eyes gaze at me,
I stroke her soft fur,
her eyes blissful.

We doze a while,
her paws on my hand.
the rhythmic sound
gentles me into my day.

2 comments:

  1. Nothing like the comfort of an animal companion, lovely piece
    Rachel xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, my Athena is my companion when I am home alone but also when Jim is here, she loves the bed first thing in the morning, just for a while and we both get up together to start the day:)))

    ReplyDelete